Monday, July 03, 2006

Journal 05


Well, this has been quite a week. Here (hopefully I've added the picture correctly) is my latest attempt at inking Jim Lee's pencils. This is the third time I've taken on this one and it's been a hell of a lot of fun. I've still got a long way to go to be able to do this well, but I know I'm getting closer with each try. The main thing I think I need is to gain the confidence to stroke instead of pecking and scratching as I'm prone to do now.

(BTW, Jamie, as you requested, I'm sending you this one as a gift for Kael. I'll try to get it in the mail along with that long overdue Cassius piece sometime this week.)

As I mentioned last week, on Friday there was a little charity event for the CBLDF at the local comic book store, Muse Comics & Games. Jim Lee was coming to town to do a signing and auction, and the store had arranged for private screening of "Superman Returns" with Jim and his crew for a small donation to the CBLDF.

I thought that Missoula, Montana was a little off the beaten path and that this wouldn't be that big a deal. I was very wrong. Jim Lee draws a crowd where ever he goes. The signing started at 5pm, and by the time Samantha and I got there at 6 the line was around the block. We didn't actually make it into the store before time ran out and Jim was whisked away to the movie theatre like a rock star. Luckily, Jim was gracious enough to come outside and walk down the line signing two books a piece for anyone that didn't make it inside. When he got to me, I handed him off my little book of samples that I had prepared and let him go on his way. Samantha noticed as he was packing up that while there were several other artists with portfolios there, I was the only one who had given him something to take away with him. This is a very small thing, I know, but I felt like it was a minor victory nonetheless. I'll be sending him a follow up packet in a month with some fresh work. I doubt anything will come of this, but we'll see.

The movie was a lot of fun as well. It's a good, solid piece of entertainment that picks up nicely after the good (ie, not Superman 3 & 4) Superman movies of my childhood. The show was sold out and Jim gave a nice little speach about why we need the CBLDF before it started. The day was definitely a money maker for the CBLDF and I'm glad Samantha and I could add our contributions.

Oh, and this piece here won me a $50 gift certificate in the store's inking contest. Does this mean I can get away with calling myself an award winning inker now? Perhaps not. ;)

Also, a big thanks to the ever generous Stephen R. Bissette, who's taken a little time to promote my blog. Shame on you if you don't know who he is. Hop on over there and educate yourself.

I think that's all the news for now. I'm moving my studio area this week to make room for the baby (the due date draws ever closer). I'm not sure how much time I'll have to work but I'll try to get some new pencils up by next week.

Thanks,
Daniel

No comments: