Monday, June 26, 2006

Repost: Deviant Art Journal 02

06.14.2006

The Week In Review
Well let’s get this thing started, shall we. I’m posting this a little later than I wanted because I’ve already re-written this a few times. I’m still trying to decide what’s the best format to use here, so I may play around a bit for the first few weeks.

Week 1
06.04-10.2006

I guess I’ll start by recapping the week that led up to my decision to start this blog. With a baby on the way I’ve realized that I need to come up with some new approaches to self promotion and turning my career into a more stable source of income. Taking some hints from the 2006 Artists & Graphic Designers Marketplace guide I thinking that blogging about my artistic exploits in a manner similar to Holli Conger (http://www.agirlwhocreates.com/) would be a good start. I’d also like to sit down and hash out a nice business letterhead and some promotional mailers.

In addition to this, I’ve started paying a bit more attention to my fellow Deviant Artists, and I’ve begun to reach and ask for their advice and insight, and possibly a bit of friendly networking. mechangel2002 pointed me towards the various comic book forums such as Digital Webbing (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/) and Penciljack (http://www.penciljack.com/forum/). I’d tried this sort of thing in the past, usually with very disappointing results. At the time the majority of listings had been people who were offering little or no (usually no) pay, or who had no follow through once contacted. I was dubious to go back, but I said what the hell, it certainly couldn’t hurt to look. Much to my surprise, I had three offers for low but decently paid work within one day. I’ve turned one down, as it was just two much of a time commitment for me, but I’ve decided to accept the other two. One is a two month inking stint, the other designing giant robots for a new series. I’ll post more details as I have them.

I’ve also been looking around the galleries here in search of technical inspiration. I’ve been getting an itch to try my hand at digital painting for some time now. Thanks to one of Kyena’s tutorials (http://www.tascha.ch/?page_id=60) I’ve finally figured out how properly blend colour like paint in Photoshop. It may not sound like much, but it’s been a huge leap for me. Hopefully I’ll have some good paintings up in my gallery shortly.

The rest of my week was spent roughing out pages for Acquistions, a comics project with writer, Travis Johnson. You’ll find a few of my initial character sketches in my scraps gallery. I’ll be posting some more previews as the project develops. It looks like it’s going to be both a fun and interesting book. We just need to find a good publisher.

All in all it was a pretty good week, though there were some interesting hiccups along the way. At one point the neighbor’s donkey got loose while they were away, and Samantha, her dad, and myself spent about an hour trying to get him back behind the fence before we finally gave up. I guess it’s true that donkey’s really are as stubborn as they say.

At the moment Samantha’s been a bit under the weather. She’s developed a very mysterious foot pain. At first it seemed like a sprain, though she hadn’t injured herself in any way. We spent Saturday night in the ER getting her checked out, as she was in quite a bit of pain. They couldn’t tell us much, other than that she has a mysterious infection that should clear up with some antibiotics and some rest. That’s been a bit of a problem, as she likes to be pretty active. Luckily, kicking my ass at Mario Party 7 seems to keep her entertained and cheerful while keeping her off her feet.

I guess that’s it for now. I’ll have new post up Sunday or Monday.

Until then, take care,
Daniel

No comments: